New Zealand's leading process servers since 1987! We provide cost-effective and professional nationwide document serving.


Dion Neill, founder of The Neill Group served his first legal document in 1986! Robust processes and investment in the latest technology support our high success rate, so we remain a formidable competitor for process serving in Wellington and throughout New Zealand. We provide cost-effective and professional nationwide document serving. When you need documents served, we’ll do it on time, every time. Our trained and experienced process servers in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch and across every region of New Zealand professionally serve all legal documents, court proceedings and dissolution of marriage (divorce) applications.

Our reputation for successful document and process serving is rock solid. Our New Zealand court-approved process servers (legal document servers) deliver a diverse range of legal documents that often require an individual to attend a court hearing. Our professional document serving teams are ready to take on any challenge and will work assiduously to deliver your legal documents and court proceedings. With time-critical documents and a fast-approaching court deadline, you need a reliable process server who can serve your legal documents quickly and in accordance with the rules of service.

We serve hundreds of documents in Wellington and across New Zealand every year, you can be confident that we will deliver your documents without fail. The Neill Group has been awarded a number of significant contracts to provide legal document serving throughout New Zealand. Why do clients select us? Because we are widely recognised for our high success rate, vast experience, knowledge of legal process and investment in the latest technology.

Why us?

  • We operate NZ’s largest network of field agents, process servers and private investigators.
  • We are the preferred document serving agency for a number of government departments and law enforcement agencies.
  • We are authorised to serve criminal documents pursuant to the Summary Proceedings Act 1957.
  • We serve legal documents correctly and always abide by the New Zealand courts rules of service.
  • We manage an extensive regional based nationwide team of competent and court- approved process servers
  • Our process servers have an excellent working knowledge of local contact, geography and information sources.
  • We provide the most competitive nationwide fee structure, with reductions for regular clients.
  • We use confidential informants, public databases and a range of proven tracing methods to assist in serving the most evasive defendants.

What's the difference between us and other New Zealand process servers?            

  • We operate New Zealand's largest network of experienced                                          process servers from  Kaitaia to Bluff.
  • We treat all assignments as time-critical, our first service attempt                                      will be made within one working day of receiving the documents. 
  • Verifiable results - We complete our document serving in an                                accountable manner to withstand any scrutiny or concerns.
  • We provide the most competitive nationwide fee structure for                                    process serving with special rates for significant volumes.
  • Our New Zealand wide process serving team is respected and trustworthy.                        A number of our process servers are former detectives and police officers. 
  • We use a range of informants, databases and proven tracing methods to assist in serving evasive and absconded defendants.
  • We are authorised to serve criminal documents pursuant to the Summary Proceedings Act 1957.                                                                                                               
  • We have been licensed by the Ministry of Justice as security providers, private investigators and repossession agents in New Zealand since 1987.
  • We are the most experienced process servers in New Zealand. We know how to serve legal documents in accordance with Court rules of service. 
  • We have invested heavily in technology to manage your document serving requirements anywhere in New Zealand.  

We serve a range of documents and court proceedings, including:          

  • District Court documents
  • Family Court documents
  • High Court documents
  • Employment Court documents
  • Child custody orders
  • Tenancy eviction notices
  • Dissolution of marriage (divorce) applications
  • Family protection orders
  • Court summonses
  • Bankruptcy notices
  • Demand notices
  • Trespass notices
  • Property law act notices
  • Orders for examination
  • Charging documents
  • International Court subpoenas
  • Company receivership documents
  • Sensitive personal or commercial documents
  • Pre-possession notices
  • Repossession warrants

Accurate reporting in real time with seamless transparency.

Are you tired of not knowing the status of your document serving assignment? Our online system gives you access to our process servers notes and documents during the course of your document serving assignment. We will send you an invitation to collaborate with us at no charge. You can then upload your documents and share notes or photos. You can view the progress of your assignment without sending an email or picking up the phone. Our customised technology provides you with live updates in real time using a GPS verified time stamp.

All requests to the web application, even this document and marketing pages, are sent over a secure socket layer connection with 256-bit encryption, similar to what banks use to encrypt financial information. Our file management system is engineered from the ground up with security and data integrity as a top priority. Documents uploaded to our system are protected by server-side encryption and private URLs. All uploaded documents are backed up and versioned, encryption at rest also protects the data in the event of a physical compromise.

Confidential and time-critical document couriers                                                           

We offer a courier service for sensitive, confidential and time-critical documents throughout New Zealand and worldwide. Our carefully vetted former police and military specialists will personally deliver your documents to the intended recipient or location. We use the most advanced technology to ensure your documents are protected with the highest-level of physical and electronic security at all times. 

We have 30 + years experience serving dissolution of marriage (divorce) applications across every region of New Zealand. 

One of the more private types of legal documents we serve are dissolution of marriage applications, commonly referred to as "divorce papers". We know that applying to dissolve your marriage can often be a difficult and stressful time. When you engage us to serve your documents, you can be confident that our experienced process servers throughout New Zealand will serve your documents with discretion, sensitivity and professionalism. For more information, please follow this link to view the New Zealand Family Court online.

How to apply for a divorce

When you apply for a divorce, you need to complete an application for dissolution of marriage. This information is available from your local Family Court. The Family Court will process your application and give you a set of documents that need to be given to your ex-partner by someone else (not you). Click this link to find out more about serving documents

Types of divorce applications

1. If both you and your partner want a divorceIf you have grounds to do so, both you and your partner ‘ask’ the Family Court for a Marriage of Dissolution Order. Follow this link: Apply for a divorce – when you both agree.

2. If only one of you wants a divorce: You will need to ask the Family Court to make a decision. This is known as 'applying for an order’. If you are applying for an order, you (or your lawyer) become responsible for ensuring that your application documents are ‘served’ on the other person. You need to employ a process server (legal document server), because you can't serve the documents yourself.

Follow this link: Apply for a divorce – on your own.

How to apply

What happens after you file your application?

What happens after the divorce documents have been served If your ex-partner doesn’t want a divorce; or they won’t agree to apply together; or you don’t want to ask them to apply together? you can apply on your own.

Note: When you print the forms it’s important to print them single-sided.

1. Fill in the forms in the application pack: One party application for divorce (order dissolving a marriage or civil union)

2. Also include an original or certified copy of your marriage or civil union certificate (this is not the document you signed on the day of your marriage or civil union). 

You can get the certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages, a copy of your separation agreement or separation order, if you have one, to prove you’ve been living apart for at least two years.

3. File your application. This means your documents need to be delivered personally or posted to your local Family Court by you or your lawyer.

Serving trespass notices in New Zealand                                                                                                          

In New Zealand there is no legal requirement to give a trespass notice in writing, however, written document reinforces the situation for the person, they cannot say they did not know of the notice and of the requirement to leave the property and not return.  Trespass is often a sensitive matter because the recipient, the recipient may respond negatively from receiving the notice.

Verbal trespass                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

If you deliver a trespass notice verbally, it is advisable to record the date and time along with the reason for giving a trespass notice to that person. Also record the name or description of the person asked to leave.

Written trespass                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

If you undertake a written trespass, you must complete three copies of the Trespass Notice: one copy to the person you are serving,  one copy for your records and one copy to give to the nearest police station or attending police officer for entering into the police database.

To serve a notice you simply hand it to the person. If they refuse to accept it and it drops on the ground, it is still considered served. Keep that copy and note down that the person refused to accept the notice. You are required to give a reasonable time for the trespasser to leave. If the person stays or takes an unreasonable time to comply, you should immediately call the police.

What happens when a trespass notice is ignored?                                                                                                                                                                   

If you have served a trespass notice and the recipient continues to visit your home or business premises, they have committed an offence against the trespass act and can be arrested. It is an offence punishable by a fine not exceeding $1,000.00 or imprisonment not exceeding three months to enter the an address that you have been trespassed from within two years from the date of receiving the notice. Download trespass notice: Trespass Notice Form.pdf

Useful links