Our vetted and experienced process servers in Wellington and across every region of New Zealand will professionally serve your legal documents, court proceedings and dissolution of marriage (divorce) applications. We utilise the latest GPS technology and reporting software to provide you with live, real-time updates from our nationwide document serving team. 

With time critical documents and a fast approaching deadline, you need a reliable and diligent process server who can serve your documents quickly and in accordance with the courts rules of service. With thousands of documents successfully served in New Zealand and worldwide, you can be confident in our ability to deliver, on time and every time! 

Why us?

  • We manage the largest Wellington and nationwide network of carefully vetted and authorised process servers who will serve your documents professionally
  • We are the preferred and approved process servers for the crown law office, we serve charging documents for government agencies
  • We are authorised to serve criminal documents pursuant to the Summary Proceedings Act 1957
  • We abide by the New Zealand courts rules of service and will serve your documents to the defendant or recipient in the correct manner
  • We will serve your legal documents anywhere in Wellington, New Zealand or worldwide using an extensive network of highly-experienced process servers
  • We provide you with a regional based team of diligent, competent process servers with exceptional knowledge of local geography, intelligence sources and confidential informants
  • We provide the most competitive fee structure in the market on a nationwide basis with a fee reduction for large volumes of monthly process serving assignments

With the very latest GPS technology and reporting software, you can monitor every step of the service process live and real time from our nationwide process serving team in the field. Our software provides you with accurate reporting and transparency across all document serving activities.


New Zealand & Worldwide Tracing Service 

Cant locate a debtor or defendant? We can help! We operate a network of licensed private investigators with experience successfully locating missing people. Our industry leading methodologies and unbeatable experience allows us implement appropriate tracing methods to obtain current information to assist with service of legal documents or debt collection efforts.



Serving Legal Documents Since 1987 

Experience matters, Dion Neill served his first legal document in 1987! Our high success rate combined with our robust processes and the very latest process serving software ensures we remain a formidable competitor for process serving throughout New Zealand.

A process server is an individual who serves legal process, court proceedings, dissolution of marriage (divorce) applications and other New Zealand or international legal documents. The courts in New Zealand require an individual named in the court proceedings to be personally served by a process server.

Our process servers deliver a diverse range of legal documents that often require an individual to attend a court hearing. The document serving team at TNG are ready to take on any challenge and work assiduously to deliver your documents on time and professionally with integrity.

Our trained and highly-experienced process servers (legal document servers) in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and every region of New Zealand will professionally serve your court proceedings, dissolution of marriage (divorce) applications and international legal process, including:

  • District Court Documents
  • Family Court Documents
  • High Court Documents
  • Employment Court Documents
  • Child Custody Orders
  • Tenancy Eviction Notices
  • Dissolution of Marriage Applications
  • Family Protection Orders
  • Court Summonses
  • Bankruptcy Notices
  • Demand Notices
  • Trespass Notices
  • Property Law Act Notices
  • Orders for Examination
  • Charging Documents
  • International Court Subpoenas
  • Company Receivership Documents
  • Sensitive Personal or Commercial Documents



Service of Divorce Documents

When you apply for a divorce, you need to complete an application for dissolution of marriage. This information is available from your local Family Court.

The Family Court will process your application and give you a set of documents that need to be given to (served on) your ex-partner by someone else (not you).

Click this link to find out more about serving documents


Two types of applications: 

1. If both you and your partner want a divorce

If you have grounds to do so, both you and your partner ASK the Family Court for a Marriage of Dissolution Order.

Follow this link: Apply for a divorce – when you both agree.

2. If only one of you wants a divorce

You will need to ask the Family Court to make a decision. This is known an APPLYING for an Order. If you are applying for an Order, you (or your lawyer) become responsible for ensuring that your application documents are SERVED on the other person. You cannot serve them yourself.

Follow this link: Apply for a divorce – on your own. 

If your ex-partner doesn’t want a divorce or they won’t agree to apply together or you don’t want to ask them to apply together, you can apply on your own.

Note: When you print the forms it’s important to print them single sided.

  1. Fill in the forms in the application pack:
    One party application for divorce (Order dissolving a marriage or civil union) [PDF, 4.5 MB]
  2. Also include:
  3. File your application. This means your documents need to be delivered personally or posted to your local Family Court by you or your lawyer.


When you cant locate the other party?

The Neill Group can assist in tracing your ex-partner.

If you are applying for a divorce and don’t know where your ex-partner is living, you can ask the court if you can change the way the documents are served (this is called substituted service).

However, you must try to locate your ex-partner yourself first before applying for substituted service.

Click this link for information on substituted service substituted service – G21 & affidavit [PDF, 211 KB]


Why use a process server?

  • As an independent party we are not personally known to the recipient.

  • We understand what is required to effectively serve the divorce proceedings.

  • We have the knowledge and experience to ensure the successful of your documents.

  • The Neill Group has over three decades of experience serving dissolution of marriage applications, commonly referred to as divorce papers or divorce documents.  


Proving the other party was served:

The person who served your documents will need to fill in an Affidavit of Service to prove that your ex-partner was given the documents.

An easy way to do this is to get the person who served your documents to go to a Family Court. Court staff will help the person fill in the affidavit and then the court staff can witness it and accept it for filing.

Click this link to find your local Family Court


Who manages the divorce application process? 

In New Zealand the Family Court has the authority to legally end (dissolve) your marriage or civil union once you and you partner have lived apart for a minimum of two years.

If you have children together the court must be satisfied that arrangements have been made for their day-to-day care and other aspects of their welfare.


Do you want to appear in court? 

Decide if you want to appear in court to get a Dissolution Order (divorce). Appearing in court may mean that an order can be made sooner because a Judge will deal with your application rather than a Registrar however, that will depend entirely on when the court can allocate a court hearing date and it is advisable that you discuss with the court how soon that could be before making any decision.

If you don’t want to appear in court, you need to fill out the affidavit part of the form and swear it in front of a court registrar, justice of the peace or solicitor.

If you want to appear in court, you don’t need to fill in or swear the affidavit. The court will tell you when you need to come to court after you file your application.


If the other party asks the court not to make a dissolution of marriage order:

If your ex-partner asks the court not to approve the divorce, then there will be a defended hearing in front of a Family Court judge. The judge will hear from both of you and decide if there are grounds to make the Dissolution Order.

You will be legally divorced 1 month after the date the Dissolution Order is made. A copy will be sent to you at that stage.


If the other party takes no action:

If your ex-partner doesn’t do anything in the set time and you don’t want to appear in court, the court will check that the requirements are met and, if they are, make the Dissolution Order. The court will write to you to tell you the order has been made. 1 month after the order is made, it will become final and a copy will be sent to you.

If you want to appear in court, the court will tell you when you need to come to court. At the hearing, a judge will make the Dissolution Order and the divorce will be final on that day. The court will send copies of the Dissolution Order to both of you.


Related Links:


Serving a trespass notice:  

There is no legal requirement to give a trespass notice in writing – a trespass notice reinforces the seriousness of the situation, the recipient can not state they had no knowledge of the notice. The Neill Group serves trespass notices for private individuals and business owners in Wellington and throughout New Zealand.

There are two ways to deliver a trespass notice:

1. Verbal trespass

If you deliver a trespass notice verbally, it is advisable to record the date and time along with the reason for giving a trespass notice to that person. Also record the name or description of the person asked to leave.

2. Written trespass

If you undertake a written trespass, complete three copies of the Trespass Notice:

  • one copy to the person you are serving the trespass notice on

  • one copy for you to keep

  • one copy to give to the nearest police station or attending police officer, for entering into the Police records database

To serve a notice you simply hand it to the person. If they refuse to accept it and it drops on the ground, it is still considered served. Keep that copy and note down that the person refused to accept the notice.

You are required to give a reasonable time for the trespasser to leave. If the person stays or takes an unreasonable time, call the police.


What should I do if the recipient ignores the trespass notice?

If the recipient continues to visit your home or business premises and you have served a trespass notice on the recipient, they will have committed an offence against the trespass act and can be arrested.

It is an offence punishable by a fine not exceeding $1,000.00 or imprisonment not exceeding 3 months to enter an address that you have been trespassed from within two years from the date of receiving the notice.


Serving Wellington & New Zealand Wide

The Neill Group is a Wellington based agency with the largest network of process servers (legal document servers) in every area and region of New Zealand, including: Northland, Whangarei, Auckland, Wellsford, Warkworth, Orewa, Albany, Takapuna, Mangere, Manurewa, Pukekohe, Coromandel Peninsular, Thames, Waihi, Whangamata, Whitianga, Waikato, Hamilton, Te Awamutu, Cambridge, Huntly, Morrinsville, Matamata, Putaruru, Tokoroa, Otorohanga, King Country, Taumarunui, Te Kuiti, Waitomo, Bay of Plenty, Tauranga, Te Puke, Whakatane, Kawerau, Opotiki, Rotorua, Taupo, Turangi, Murupara, East Cape, Gisborne, Tolaga Bay, Tokomaru Bay, Ruatoria, Te Kaha, Taranaki, Wanganui, New Plymouth, Stratford, Hawera, Waitara, Inglewood, Manawatu, National Park, Waiouru, Taihape, Palmerston North, Marton, Bulls, Feilding, Ashhurst, Foxton, Horowhenua, Levin, Otaki, Kapiti, Waikanae, Paraparaumu, Paekakariki, Wellington, Plimmerton, Porirua, Tawa, Johnsonville, Upper Hutt, Lower Hutt, Wainuiomata, Hawkes Bay, Wairoa, Napier, Hastings, Havelock, Waipukurau, Dannevirke, Wairarapa: Featherston, Pahiatua, Masterton, Carterton, Greytown, Tasman, Nelson, Blenheim, Picton, Motueka, West Coast, Westport, Greymouth, Hokitika, Wanaka, Queenstown, Twizel, Alexander, Te Anau, Canterbury, Christchurch, Kaikoura, Ashburton, Southland, Timaru, Oamaru, Dunedin, Invercargill, Balclutha, Mossburn, Gore.