Regardless of the event, situation or challenge you are facing, we have the skills, expertise and experience to help.
Business and operating principles
We have spent more than three decades establishing a robust reputation in our market, everything we do is supported by an unparalleled level of professional expertise and operational experience. Dion Neill has been successfully operating in the international security and private investigation market since 1987. The Neill Group aims to build on this legacy by conducting our activities in accordance with the following business and operating principles:
- We will not omit any evidence or material information.
- Our findings will be presented in an unbiased and fact-based manner.
Conflict of interest
- We will not knowingly accept any assignments that are in direct conflict of interest with past or existing clients.
- No business objective will take priority over our health, safety and environmental responsibilities.
Standards of conduct
- Always operate with legal compliance.
- Act with integrity and adhere to the highest ethical standards.
- Seek publicity only where it is an advantage to our business.
Community and environment
- Commit to building strong partnerships.
- Embrace and respect cultural diversity.
- Interact in a respectful and professional manner.
- Nurture a safe and secure working environment.
- Ensure client satisfaction is at the centre of everything we do.
- Responsibly manage the environmental impact of our business.
- Make a positive contribution to the communities in which we operate.
Dion Neill and his team are expert problem-solvers
Dion Neill is the driver behind Medic 1 and The Neill Group. He trained extensively over three decades with qualified detectives, police officers, military personnel and intelligence specialists. Dion's security career began with a period of service in the New Zealand defence forces, followed by training at the Royal New Zealand Police College, where he gained a Certificate in Investigation Skills.
Dion was one of the first licensed private investigators in New Zealand to carry out assignments for the ACC. Dion has provided evidence in the High Court of New Zealand as a member of a surveillance team in a complex theft operation resulting in the successful prosecution of over 20 offenders. Dion has spent a number of years conducting covert surveillance and managing undercover operations with a focus on fraud and theft investigations.
Dion was a foundation and executive member of the Institute of Professional Investigators (NZIPI) and former Certified Fraud Examiner with a number of recognised credentials in the area of security risk management and investigations. Dion is recognised for his contribution to raising the level of professionalism within the New Zealand security industry and has published articles on personal safety, security, employee theft and fraud prevention. Dion regularly provides commentary to the media on industry related matters
One of New Zealand’s most experienced private investigators.
Dion served his apprenticeship with a team of qualified former detectives, police officers, military personnel and intelligence officers. He was trained in every aspect of investigations, covert surveillance, intelligence gathering and security risk management. Here are some key highlights from Dion’s career as a private investigator:
- 1987 - Obtained first certificate of approval (COA) from the Ministry of Justice.
- 1987 - Contracted to Nationwide Investigation & Security Group (formally New Zealand Security Consultants & Investigations).
- 1989 - Surveillance operative on a complex theft investigation resulting in over 20 convictions in the High Court.
- 1989 - Appointed by the ACC to carry out investigations.
- 1991- Famously cross-examined in the High Court by the late Mike Bungay QC.
- 1997 - Certified as a fraud examiner (CFE).
- 1997 - Achieved certificate in investigation skills at the Royal New Zealand Police College.
- 2001 - Director of the original private investigation company, Wellington Investigations.
- 2003 - Featured in the popular TVNZ and Sky Crime channel series, ‘Private Investigators’.
- 2011 - Developed and facilitated the Stotts distance learning certificate in private investigation.
- 2021 - Achieved a Certificate in Professional Investigations, Conflict Management (Instructor) and Co-ordinated Incident Management Systems (CIMS)
International security experience and qualifications.
In the late 1980s, a prominent business owner received serious threats of violence. This assignment was the catalyst for Dion to provide high-level security and the formation of his business, Protective Services. In 1996, Dion personally managed the security for a sports team representing New Zealand in South Africa. He has also worked as a security contractor in the world's most volatile regions. For over three decades, Dion has personally been contracted as a security driver or personal protection specialist for music artists, sports teams, film talent and corporate executives, including Eminem, Peter Jackson, Jamie Oliver, Tony Hawk, Max Bradford MP, David Beckham and Sir Elton John.
In 1999, Dion was appointed as a senior manager with Group 4 Security (known as G4S). In this role, he was responsible for leading a nationwide security team, along with the management of several national security contracts. He managed the acquisition of two security company's under the G4S umbrella. During this time, Dion achieved a Diploma of Security and Risk Management (Australia), along with a number of internationally-recognised security credentials. Dion was one of the first NZQA tutor's to facilitate the national certificate in security. Dion remains a certified instructor for PSPLA mandatory training required to obtain a security licence or certificate of approval.
In more recent years, Dion contracted his services to the New Zealand and international film industry, he provided security consulting and security risk management services on a national basis along with leading a highly-trained security team assigned to protect film talent, production assets, infrastructure and intellectual property. Here are some key highlights from Dion’s security career:
- 1988 - Founded and managed TNT security in Kapiti (acquired by Group 4 Security).
- 1996 - Travelled to South Africa to provide security for a representative sports team.
- 1999 - Workplace assessor and qualified tutor for NZQA national certificate in security.
- 1999 - Achieved level IV certificate in security operations and management (Australia).
- 1999 - Employed as regional manager and national operations director (Group 4 Security).
- 2000 - Completed executive protection training with Alan Kinnane and Associates.
- 2001 - Founded and managed Protective Services (acquired by Platform 4 Group).
- 2001 - Security driver for international film talent at Lord of the Rings international premiere.
- 2003 - Contracted security manager for the Cuba Street Carnival (2003-2007).
- 2003 - Awarded with a Diploma of Security & Risk Management (Australia).
- 2009 - Featured on the TVNZ Breakfast Show (protecting high profile people).
- 2009 - Contracted security manager for 1080 programme (Animal Health Board).
- 2020 - Contracted security manager and provider for A24 film and Apple television productions.
- 2021 - Finalist, New Zealand Security Awards (Outstanding New Product or Service of the Year).
- 2021 - Protective Services acquired by Platform 4 Group (P4G).
- 2021 - Appointed to senior leadership team and board of Platform 4 Group (P4G).
Dion Neill has been recognised for his contribution over many years as a community-based volunteer first responder. He is a recipient of the New Zealand Defence Forces Service Medal, St John Service Medal and Wellington Free Ambulance Long Service Award. Dion and The Neill Group are supporters of Flashlight, Police Dog Trust and Life Flight (Air Ambulance and Westpac Rescue Helicopter).
Page Entertainment (Australia)
Your ability to diffuse and manage a volatile situation at our event was nothing less than outstanding! Dion, you delivered on your promise to keep our people safe. We have recommended you to others and have no hesitation in using your services again in the future.
Kevin Horack – Clearwater Projects (United Kingdom)
We appointed Dion Neill to act as our New Zealand agent several years ago. We have trusted Dion and his team with the safety and security of our clients who travel to New Zealand from various countries around the world. Dion has earned an excellent reputation for his high standard of professionalism, security management, operational planning and natural ability to… think outside the square. Read more “Kevin Horack – Clearwater Projects (United Kingdom)”
White Fox & Jones Lawyers
We have used The Neill Group for process serving on a number of occasions, we have always been impressed with their efficiency and professionalism.
I’ve worked with Dion over the last 3 years. Every time that I have engaged his services, he has been responsive and has completed the job quickly. His reporting is done in a timely fashion. Dion is great to work with, reliable and responsible
International Celebrity Client
Thank you Dion, you made it safe for us to enjoy the beauty and wide open spaces of New Zealand. It was truly a remarkable experience for us all, we are sincerely grateful for your assistance.
Cuba Street Carnival
“It was a pleasure to work with Dion Neill who fulfilled his tasks as our contracted security manager in a highly professional manner. The event, from a security point of view, ran smoothly and we will certainly look to work with Dion again”
Westpac utilized the services of Dion Neill to assist our national fraud and security services team. I highly recommend Dion and The Neill Group, they are reliable and very professional.
Intercoll has a very strong relationship with The Neill Group over many years. We find them to be professional in all of their activities and I am personally impressed with their results, communication and reporting systems
NZ Defence Industry Association
The security services provided by you were of a professional nature and were commented on favourably by all delegates, in particular, those from overseas.
Dion, I highly recommend you based on my satisfaction with your professional manner and your excellent results.
Dion Neill and I have worked together since the late 1990s in a number of roles including event security, close personal protection, and private investigations. I have also engaged Dion as a specialist instructor for executive protection training for my security staff. Dion constantly delivers a high level of skill and performance. It is refreshing to be able to task… and forget knowing the job will be completed to my expectations. I have no hesitation in recommending any service Dion has to offer as I know the professionalism and depth of knowledge that underpins it Read more “First Contact”
Bluestone Australia & New Zealand
We contracted Dion Neill to provide field services throughout New Zealand. Dion and his team at The Neill Group are extremely reliable and hardworking, their work has always been of an excellent quality and very professional. – Bluestone Mortgages (Australia & New Zealand)
We engaged Dion Neill to provide corporate security and risk management services. Dion and his team were very discreet and professional, we have no hesitation in using their services again.
I have been utilizing the services of The Neill Group in the Wellington area for several years now and am VERY happy with the service which Dion and his team provide. They operate in a very professional manner and the work is always completed in a timely way. I have no hesitation at all in recommending Dion Neill for assistance… which you may require Read more “Avon Investigations”
Simpson Western Lawyers
We use The Neill Group for tracing, process serving and investigations, they are efficient and always produce exceptional results.
Dion has a can do attitude and his drive and persistence provides the best possible outcome for his clients
Personal Finance Limited
Dion Neill and The Neill Group are client-focused. The Neill Group team is very service and results orientated, their positive results over many years as our preferred field agents, process servers, and private investigators reflect their knowledge, tenacity, and unique skill set.
I have worked with Dion Neill for over 10 years, he is a very competent security professional and highly skilled private investigator. I have no hesitation in recommending Dion or The Neill Group for any security, process serving, private investigation, or associated field services in the greater Wellington region.